Tuesday 22 October 2013

Symbols!

Seeing as I didn’t post anything last week I thought I'd post a small update to give an indication as to what I’m doing next, because the last week was spent deciding!

Over the last week I was feeling like I had to get more work done for the game I’m working on e.g. more level designs, so I decided to start designing the full map of the area so I knew where each dome would be, what was in each dome and what each dome was. So now I have a basic idea of the planets layout.

However I still felt I had to get a little more research done similar to the door tests research, as this was really helpful to show how the players played and learnt. After having a quick chat with Josh I decided to design another small test level, but based around different symbols to see if players reacted any differently.

A game that I had recently played called 'Hiversaires', this is a point and click escape type game for the IPad/IPhone/Android Phones and is mainly based around symbols. I ended up spending about an hour or 2 on this game trying to figure it out and was given no indication what to do from the start, but I learnt that things had to be powered up before I could use them and I only had a certain amount of 'batteries' to power them. Eventually I gave up as I got so far and I got totally confused as to where to go, but up to that point a lot the symbols that were shown, I was always like 'I've seen that somewhere before!' then head back to it. This is the exact reaction I love as it makes the player take their environment in more, or it will trigger something in their subconscious.

So during this week I'm going to be creating this small symbol test, because this will help with my research but also help with the game I'm working on; as there will be a lot of hidden areas in it requiring magical runes etc.

Laters taters!

No comments:

Post a Comment